Porch in Kalamazoo
Originally uploaded by holdthresh

I moved to Kalamazoo almost two weeks ago. The picture above is the view from my porch. Right behind my house is a nature preserve, so I've been taking long walks through the woods. Here are some photos I took yesterday.



Whitman writes:
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
It is to grow in the open air, and to eat and sleep with the earth.

These past few days I find myself agreeing with him. In my long walks, I feel energized. The cares of Chicago, with its teeming streets, with its powerful forces, fade slowly into memory, and I look to solitary nature to cleanse me. Just in the past two days, I've run across several snakes, many deer, quail, finches, bullfrogs, butterflies, and chipmunks, and I've probably walked by many other creatures unaware.

This town is the smallest one that I've ever lived in, and it is doubtful that my wife and I will remain here long. Still, everything is new to me, and I feel as though a year on the edge of the woods will do much to revive my spirits.

Comments

Popular Posts