I just finished Jennifer Moxley's The Middle Room. Like Shanna, the style of it surprised me at first. The prose had an almost romantic quality to it, but I got used to that as I read. Moxley's story of becoming a poet was fascinating, and I'm sure many poets of my generation can relate to it. I did to some of the basic doubts of being a poet, but her overall experience was much different than my own. A gay friendly neighborhood in San Diego is far from my childhood home in Jackson, MS, and unfortunately, I was not lucky enough to have an artistic group until I was in my thirties. Up until then, I met individuals I could connect with, but I felt very isolated as a poet interested in experimental writing until I moved to Chicago. Moxley's group of friends seems to have pushed her in a poetic direction early. That is something I envy.

Comments

Popular Posts