I know that Horace Engdahl's recent comments have irritated many U.S. writers.  While I do not think he is entirely accurate in his assessment of our writing, I have some sympathy for his position.  Just in the past few days, I attempted to look up work by many important international writers in IU's library system.  Since I work at an IU campus, I have access to the extremely large library system.  I attempted to look up works by the following:  Ali Ahmad Said Asbar (also known as Adunis/Adonis), Dubravka Ugresic, Pauolo Leminski, Laszlo Krasznahorkai, and Jaan Kross.  We had none of their works.  I know that IU has had major problems with funding new book purchases, but all of the above writers are, to my mind, major writers and should be in our libraries.  (Leminksi is probably the only unfair selection above since much of his work has not been translated.)  

Comments

John B-R said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loring Wirbel said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts