The Daily Glance

Maggie Nelson's Bluets is a book about the color blue, and in it she manages to discuss depression, relationships, meaning, and faith. In her discussion, she brings in a long list of characters from Sei Shonagon to Emerson to Wittgenstein, to Stein. The pieces, perhaps short prose, perhaps prose poetry, are numbered and read like a meandering novel that's focused on the personal. In it, she explains why she picked blue and contemplates the different meanings of blue. She also just admires the color in its various forms. Different themes seem to weave through the numbers of the pieces, coming back like a sub-plot in a novel, so as I reader I started to look forward to different themes returning.

71. I have been trying, for some time now, to find dignity
in my loneliness. I have been finding this hard to do.

Comments

Popular Posts