The Daily Glance (The Kollectiv Series)

Deborah Poe's chapbook the last will be stone, too contains five short poems. It's no big secret that I typically like Poe's work, and this short collection is no exception. The poems are full of interesting juxtapositions and sonorous language. Take this lines from "A Lot Names Marooned":

Language and meander when geographies yesterday. The fragments all map.

So much is happening in lines like this one that this chapbook demands contemplative reading. These two sentences seem to relate, but the relation is not clear. Is language on the map? Are the fragments language? Are we meandering in yesterday's geographies when using language? (Or did I just rearrange the syntax for my own meaning purposes?)

My favorite poem in the chapbook is "Death Mix," a poem that takes its line from Paul Celan. I don't know that I can say what the poem is about, if about anything, but the sound of it is enchanting.

Comments

Popular Posts