Daily Glance--Imago for the Fallen World

Matthew Cooperman's and Marius Lehene's  Imago for the Fallen World is one of the best single books of poetry that I have read for a while.  It contrasts images and poetry often across the page, so not only are we presented with reading the poems and images individually, we are confronted with how to read them together in couples or across the collection.  One lines reads, "Docent: I'm as lost in this hallway as you are," but I don't feel lost in the collection so much as caught up in its myriad images and themes.  We are thrown bits of pop culture, science, and corporate culture.  In fact, it seems that we are being asked to locate our place somewhere among the mix, but I don't want to locate myself among "Sprint, Dutch East Indies, L. L Bean" or "Syria on Fox News" or "your son or daughter committed suicide in the distress of war and we salute you;" still, I recognize all of these images/phrases so well that I'm inclined to say that they have managed an exhibit of what is us now. 

                 13th Monkey: don't listen to him, there's no point in counting, your hopes or prayers, it's all just a series of near escapes on my random transcription machine


Comments

Popular Posts