Daily Glance



Danielle Pafunda's The Dead Girls Speak in Unison is a short, creepy but great poetry collection.  At times is feels like it was written by zombies who speak; at times it seems to channel an inner Emily Dickinson.  Either way, the commentary on the treatment of women and gender roles is fascinating.

Hush. Do not disturb
our needles
squalling thread.

We're stitching up
all your fancy mistakes.

We're stitching up
your mother's face.     

The language here is straight-forward but filled with images that are not common since the speakers all seem to be dead  (I say seems because the collection makes us wonder if what is expected makes all of them dead).

On a side note, I don't know if it was Pafunda or Coconut Books that decided to print this book in a smaller format, but I really like it.  I wish more books were printed in a smaller format just so that I could carry them easily shoved into a pocket or coat and pull them out wherever.   

Comments

Popular Posts