it's chilly tonight in chicago, as if autumn has moved in early. leaves are even beginning to turn on some maples. plus, i did not sail this weekend, and it seems that the racing season is over for me this year--that always signals a change of seasons for me. in addition, i start teaching again this week. on tuesday i'll be in front of rooms of optimistic freshman and sophmores. (i wish i had such optimism, for i have lost it lately.)

tonight the city is silent. the sidwalks below my window are empty, and even the university just around the corner has succumbed to the still air. my cats even are tucked away in warm spots to sleep--the kitten is next to me on a chair. she's a fiesty burmese.

i am filled with the energy of summer, but i feel that i did not accomplish much this summer (besides a divorce, a bunch of sappy songs, and a couple of decent poems), so i am not able to sleep tonight. i'm thinking back over all the projects i wanted to start. i even have deadlines that have passed--that's unusual for me. maybe the chilly fall and cold winter nights will allow me time to work.

Comments

Popular Posts