The Daily Glance

Rachel Zucker's Musuem of Accidents is filled with slightly longer poems that deal with motherhood, meaning, and writing. Zucker explores the idea of chaos and of meaning in this book alongside with the giving up of one's self that happens with children. She also firmly stakes her position as a mother and explores loss from that position. The poetic forms vary quite a lot, even within individual poems, and it seems like her basic process is to play and see what works.
I want someone to ask me if I like my job.

I want someone to explain why I put a large duffel bag of explosives
into my mouth and tried to swallow it down when I was just
trying to stay alive, terrified my sons could see my missings, and how is it the cops
don't stop me and my open-minded subway neighbors smile sweetly
I have several favorite pieces in the book, including "Nice Arse Poetica" which turns the traditionally serious ars poetica into both a commentary on nice arses and the brief nature of poetry.

Comments

Popular Posts