Postmodernism being over, I'm getting tired of calling the period from the 70s until now contemporary. I haven't found any useful replacement terms, and I'm not completely sure that we need them. When I think of "Western" literary history, I think in terms of movements: the Stilnovisti, the thinkers of the Renaissance ** , the Symbolists, the Surrealists. The overarching terms seem more like historical markers, but ones that often differ with those historians discuss.

Beyond that, I not quite sure how to codify the institutionalization of American poetry. The "experimental"/"innovative" is being turned over to Academia. At times, I would like to bring poetry into the marketplace of importance. At times, I suppose it's just another select enjoyment in life ("bully for them"). When I see up close poets playing games, patting asses, so much seems unimportant.

"A man / signs a shovel and so he digs Everything/turns into writing a name for a day." That's Ted Berrigan. He sounds right to me.

**(Partially as a medievalist, the term Renaissance always sticks in my throat. In going forwards, we've turned medieval. Maybe we should be the neo-medievalists--if only my armor had a spot for my cell phone.)

Comments

Popular Posts