The Daily Glance (The Kollectiv Series)

Jennifer Fortin's Nicole C (Apartment 4) contains six poems told from the specific perspective of a neighbor to a person named Nicole C. The narrator, of course, ends up telling up more about herself than she does Nicole, for Nicole does not seem to pay that much attention to this neighbor. Since these poems are told to someone specific and even contain what seems to be a crossed out address label on the front, they seem to fit Mill's definition of a lyric as an "overhead" expression perfectly. With the specific audience, I feel more privy to something I'm not supposed to read than I do with the typical lyric. In the process of reading, I became both interested in and somewhat freaked out by the narrator. She's the type of neighbor that I don't really want to have while at the same time I am interested in her story. Basically, she the type of neighbor I want a friend to have.

Of course you would invite me up
& I could tell you enough to make us both feel

like human beings, then come back down.
Maybe you would make hot chocolate?

Comments

Popular Posts