I just read quickly through Andrew Lundwall's wouldn't be here if it wasn't (from xpressed.org ). It's a short work that examines eros among other things. The language of the work repeats, but each poem is different, as if to suggest that the same language can be shifted in similar situations but signify quite different 'events.' The amount of language repetition builds towards the end of the ebook with the last few poems being an echo of what we have already read. I should mention that eros is situated among diverse goods almost as if on a stage; moreover, in some of the poems eros seems directly translated into language. I'm reading eros here as embodied in the play between the she and the persona (a different term would work better here, but I cannot think of one currently).

Concerning the language, Lundwall's words have an easy flow. The line is his primary unit in this work, and he does a good job of cutting it. The lines are units on their own that happen to connect directly at times with other lines.

I'll have to come back to this work again after I let it ruminate in my head. That said, my first reading, often the most important for me, was positive. This work will definitely reward the reader through examination.

Comments

Popular Posts