last tuesday, garin cycholl, the fiction writer and poet, came to read stories to my fiction class. someone asked him about when he started writing, and he mentioned that he had started young and burned his first book. that reminded me of myself, for i originally wrote a long manuscript of poems in college but then decided to throw them out. it was several years before i began writing again seriously, and by that time, my style had changed dramatically. i mentioned it to someone last night, and she, not knowing my past, wanted to know about what i had written. several moves ago i threw out most of my writing journals from my high school and college years, but i found one last night as i was talking to her, so i thought i would post me reading two poems from when i was a young poet living in texas. they are hardly worthwhile, but perhaps they tell something about my formation as a writer, and they are also some of the only things left from my college years. here are "take me" and "the road to the dead."

Comments

Popular Posts