The Daily Glance

The Selected Poems of Steve Carey edited by Edmund Berrigan is my introduction to Carey's work. It is firmly situated in the crowd stretching from Notley to Whalen. In fact, both of these poets are mentioned in the work. It also reminds me some of the elder Berrigan's work. It reads easily, as though an overheard conversation by someone who is different. While there are many pieces to enjoy, my favorite is a simple piece about being surrounded by snow and loving friends.

Six in the morning, outside
Blowing snow in the perfect dark, 22.
I'm awake after awakening dreams
(Often happens just before dawn)
Marion and Joe abed asleep
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Get some coffee going
Come out here in skivvies to write this
Loving them both so in a norther town

Profound? Not really, but human and accessible, yes. I'm glad to have come across this book since it shines light on a poet who passed away too young.

Comments

Popular Posts