The Daily Glance

Patrick Rosal's My American Kundiman mostly explores relationships and memory. He seems to be discussing specific personal relationships, but we are not given names, just titles like friend and woman. That's not troubling since the insights he shares seems to be about himself more than others.

She is
the good bite
the long noon
a stiff lick of whiskey
on the lips

Some of the memory pieces deal with things like prejudices and coming to terms with one's parents. The poems that I like the most are short--a page at most, for they seem to be the most concise.**

**On a side note, writing about this book makes me wonder about the reader-response positions. I enjoyed the book, but I read it after going for a jog along the shores of Lake Michigan on a beautiful morning and coming back and eating a perfectly ripe and juicy mango.

Comments

Popular Posts