The Daily Glance

Sandra Beasley's Theories of Falling is filled with poems on a variety of topics, from failing to be a vestal virgin to the title piece which discusses theories of falling. The relationship pieces stick out the most to me because they are about relationships (family and sexual) that seem messed up. For example, "The Story of My Family" starts with:

You're a tooth I tongue and tongue,
tasting blood as you loosen,

testing the sweet root of the hole.

The other relationship poems involve things like boys throwing things at you, men handing you your packed bag and a crumpled ticket, and drug addicts and food. I can only hope these are not personal stories, but even if they are, they hold enough drama to keep me interested. Really, the overheard lyric idea fits well with the relationship poems of this book.

Comments

Popular Posts