The Daily Glance

Reb Livingston's and Ravi Shankar's Wanton Textiles is a wild collaboration. The writers talk back and forth to each other only overlapping ever so lightly, but their voices are so different it's fascinating. Reb's voice is sassy and filled with a seductive yet lay-it-on-the-table feel, whereas Ravi's voice is highly refined and beautifully lyrical. So on one page we get Ravi writing:

You are the free-flowing
silhouette and I'm the classic jailer
with a scissor blade deep in my ankle.

And on the other page, Reb says:

Bunny-pie, this nickel slut can't lose enough in Vegas.
Charmed a great literary scholar at roulette, blew on chips,
accepted his come-to-my-room invite for a critique of my
latest manuscript.

Reading the work makes me wonder how these two ever hooked up for a book. It's so different from any other collaboration that I've come across, but that is part of what makes it such a compelling read.

Comments

Tom Beckett said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RL said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular Posts