The Daily Glance

Bob Marcacci's Beijing Background is a short chapbook that deals with Marcacci's life in Beijing from what is on the streets to how he learns to understand the culture around him. It's basically a work on just being in China, though at times the pieces are just about life and could be written anywhere.

I titled this poem quilt.
I titled this poem tick-tock.
I titled this poem this is not the title of this poem.
I titled this poem and you cried in your sofa.
I title this poem Beijing, the three-dot capital...

On the whole, the poems contain the loneliness that one often finds in larger cities, but it this case, the sense seems multiplied by existing as an expatriate in English while being surrounded by Chinese.

Suddenly, find myself among Chinese,
pushing my crack poetry to the Beijing
ex-pats, mostly young students and teachers,
on the daily.

Comments

Popular Posts