The Daily Glance

Rachel Blau Duplessis' Pitch: Drafts 77-95 is a well-written book that explores language, language commodification, identity, fragmentation, linearity, and many other things. It's personal and collective, theoretical and straight-forward. It's one of the more fascinating books that I've read lately.
Each single word, each labile letter
opens a mini-world
from particular presense and long implication.
Then they and we, you and I, he, she, and it
pronomial volunteers
reflect and refract
infinitudes of twirls and networks.
Duplessis is commenting on how language functions and how her own poetics work with these lines. She aims for multi-vocal work, work that breaks standard uses, work that is not easily turned into a commodity.
I want polyphony
I want excess
I want no art object
No product, no saleables, no
administrative specs, no oversight
of bureaucracies.
I want the wayward and unpredictable
caused by anything

This book is part of an epic work. She puts the grid of the Drafts in this collection, and I'm interested to go back and read all the drafts as one work.

Comments

Popular Posts