The Daily Glance

Johannes Görasson's A New Quarantine Will Take My Place is a book of mostly prose poems that deal with so many issues that it's hard to pin down any single topic. It's full of satire and commentary towards American culture, consumer culture, and poetry. Images repeat, and the poems themselves seem to blend at points. Oddly, even though he uses names and the "I," this book does not feel as much a personal critique of contemporary practices as a collective one--I'm just not quite sure what the collective is. Even more, it feels intentionally excessive, full of metaphoric language, and darkly humorous at time.


Don't ask me
Unless you want to wear barbwire on you're child's
ankles.
Unless you want to listen to music while tied to hares.
Don't ask me to shoot the tigers.
Don't ask me to explain asylum laws.
Don't ask me about Bosnia.
I'm sick as the crystal nights in which we made
love like horses in a mudslide.

Comments

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts