The Daily Glance

Chris Tonelli's {Wide Tree} is filled with short lyrics that deal mostly with daily things, though images of the train and being on it occupy the first few. Tonelli uses humor in quite a few pieces, yet some are just explanatory, like his piece on why he is a vegan (as a vegetarian myself, I've often wondered why there are not more pieces like this, but I've never felt compelled to write one).
When I was in NYC,
I made a pact w/ the
rats. I will help you
take over, I said, if
when you gain control
you give me a job.
This piece is titled "Marxist Poem w/ Rodent." It's both humorous and sad. Ultimately, having not read Tonelli's work before, I think this chapbook does a good job of presenting him as a poet who has a variety of concerns and styles and as a poet who is good at the short commentary piece; plus, it makes me want to search out more of his work.

Comments

Kitchen Press said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts